Friday, November 2, 2007

The Hands-free-est thing I saw today.

I am not sure if I have mentioned it here before, but Minneapolis has a large East African immigrant population. Related to this there is high number of Muslims and most evident are the Muslim women wearing hijabs and long flowing skirts.

I had been wanting to post about some of the clever things I see these women doing to complete daily activities wearing all this fabric. For example, I see women running on the treadmill at the gym dressed like this. Awesome! There I am looking for excuses to avoid the treadmill and they are running with their bodies totally covered in layers of fabric!

I think it is a fine example of how inventive and adaptable people can be.

My favorite is how I have seen many women use their hijab as a hands-free device for their cell phone. I had been putting off drawing this until last night, when I saw a woman dressed in the PERFECT fabric for this blog:


A cell phone skirt. Fantastic! I had no idea this was even available, but it makes complete sense to me now.

I am so glad I held off on drawing that.

10 comments:

XUP said...

That's so crazy! All of it. Running on a treadmill in a hijab. Cellphone attached. Cellphone skirt. We had a bunch of muslim women trick-or-treating in our neighbourhood. At first we thought it was a costume, but it was the real thing. And they were grown women. Without kids. That was also crazy.

sarah said...

i love it!

Mimi said...

LMAO! That is totally hysterical!

david santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
B said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I need one now.

But man, how ever do they swing the treadmill? I'd be afraid it would get caught up in the belt or something.

The Pirate of Selby Avenue said...

Holy shit! I saw the same thing over at the Midway Target here in STP and almost posted about it myself.

Anonymous said...

I have actually seen that a lot!

Missy said...

Me too, I always thought it was so cool. The cell phone skirt pushed me to share this with the world.

I will have to try the same thing with my stocking hat come winter!

B said...

I've seen the cell-phone-hijab thing! Most often with women driving. I'm glad you blogged about it, I really enjoy seeing that, too! It's cool.

Bl@ck Coffee said...

My cellphone fits in my helmet when I'm snowboarding...but wait, I just recently got a new cellphone. Hope it still fits!