Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Birthingest thing I saw at the Fair

Even though the fair grounds are now quiet and cool, I still have a few things jotted down to share with you from my visit to the Minnesota State Fair.

One crowded attraction at the fair is the Miracle of Birth barn. Here you can see sheep, pigs and cows giving birth and then you can gawk at the cute little babies!

The place gets so packed with city slickers dying to witness the animals they eat that there are bleachers and many huge flat screen TVs hanging from the ceiling.

The animals are bred to give birth during the fair and some animals are induced. It is actually a very clean, well run and educational place. The animals are treated very well.

This year I was lucky enough to witness some poor cow give birth in front of hundreds of eager fair goers.

The crowd cheered and clapped as the deeply mooing cow brought a new male calf into the world. But the calf did not hop right into life; instead it lay lifeless in the hay.

Parents tried to avert the attention of their small children while the vet in charge stepped up and gave that gooey newborn CPR!!!!



Holy crap!

The little calf sprang into action with that breath of life.

Everyone cheered! What a hero! What a cute calf! Oh that poor cow!

I was in awe of what I witnessed and again reassured that I was not made to work in medicine.

The Mama cow began to lick her new son clean while my husband and I went to the All-you-can-drink Milk Booth.

3 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm shocked there is an "all you can drink milk booth." What's next? An all you can eat corn on the cob booth at a Midwestern fair?

Anonymous said...

The All You Can Drink Milk Booth is my FAVORITE part of the fair. Milk never tastes as good as it does there.

B said...

slightly disgusting...but mildly aw-inspiring i guess.