Thursday, August 2, 2007

The striking-est thing I saw today

Last night a large interstate highway bridge in my city collapsed during rush hour traffic over the Mississippi River.

As the sun began to set that night and the rescue efforts continued, my husband and I saw this driving up the East River Road (which runs along the east bank of the river) towards the tragic scene:




This large semi-flat bed carried multiple industrial lights like this:





to help light the river while dozens worked to save lives in the crumbled concrete and running waters.

As someone who was lucky enough to be safe at home when disaster struck, the sight of this truck made the unbelievable collapse of a familiar thoroughfare very real to me.

Thankfully all of my friends and family are safe and were not traveling that route at that time. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this and all those helping with the aftermath.

2 comments:

sarah said...

yeah, i don't even know what to say.. i have been deep in thought and gratitude today..

The Pirate of Selby Avenue said...

Glad to hear you and yours are alright. Gonna be a quiet few days here in Blogland. Be well.